TEACHING ENGLISH TO YOUNG LEARNERS
Applicable for TESOL Program
Requirement in TESOL Program
Semester in TESOL Program
This course is designed for TESOL students with the purpose of providing these future English language teachers with knowledge of characteristics of young learners, appropriate teaching methods, techniques and language to teach this kind of learners. Class activities include classroom discussions, experience sharing, teaching demonstrations together with constructive feedbacks from peers and lecturers.
Knowledge of characteristics of young learners, teaching methods for teaching young learners and language in teaching and assessment
The skills of teaching English to young learners
The ability of cooperating in teams, making presentations, communicating with learners, colleagues and using English effectively in a variety of social contexts
The ability of articulating ideas, designing, developing and applying new knowledge and technology in teaching English to young learners
- Main coursebooks:
1. Garton, S. & Copland, F. (Eds) (2018). The Routledge handbook of teaching English to young learners. Routledge.
2. Shin, J.K. & Crandall, J. (2013). Teaching young learners English: from theory to practice. Heinle ELT.
1. Bland, J. (2015). Teaching English to young learners: Critical issues in language teaching with 3-12 year olds. Bloomsburry.
2. Cameron, L. (2001). Teaching Languages to Young Learners. Cambridge University Press.
3. Slattery, M. (2001). English for Primary Teachers: A Handbook of Activities and Classroom Language. Oxford University Press.
4. Wright, A. (2009). Storytelling with Children (2nd ed). Oxford University Press.
|Quizzes & tests||30%|